Sunday, December 17, 2006

Thyrza's Percentage Growing Post



Question 1
What is a good definition of percent? You should use words symbols, pictures and numerical examples in your definition. (suggestion gliffy is an excellent tool for adding detail to your definition.)

If the picture below is too blurry for you click here.



Question 2
How are three fifths (3/5), 3:2, 60% and 0.6 all the same? Use pictures and words to show your answer.


I will show you how 3/5, 3:2, 60% and 0.6 are all the same. I used 3:2 to show you. I turned the ratio into fraction, decimal and percent.
3:2 -->3(3)/5(3+2) -->(3 divided by 5) 0.6--> (0.6 x 100) 60%




This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog



Question 3
Show 3 different ways to find 35% of 80. (bubbleshare is an excellent tool to animate the many different ways of finding these answer).





This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog



Question 4
Find a link to blogs that deal with percentages. Leave a comment behind and add the link with a review (What the post was talking about....yes you have to read the post and why others should read the post) Hint In the side bar there are links to other schools. Three of them have done work on percentages!


I commented on this great post. This post was very easy to understand and it included some examples about percentages. Such as when you are taking a french test that is out of 50 and there's a bonus question that is worth 5% . If you get that correct and all the other questions then it is possible to get 55/50 which is 110%.

The post also teaches how to simplify fractions and it also teaches that percentage actually means "Per Hundred" and
that percent is over 100 or /100. The post also included terms that are mostly used in percentage such as "of" meaning "multiply". Also with the "/" meaning "divide".You guys should read that post, you'll learn alot and some of the information we already know so it will serve as a review to you guys.

Question 5
The principal announced that 50% of the children in Ms. Stanzi's class met their reading goal for the month and that 55% of the children in Ms Lowrey's class met their reading goal for the month. Ms Stanzi said that a greater number of her students met their reading goal. Could Ms Stanzi be correct? Why or Why not.



It didn't mentioned how many students each teacher had. To show you how Ms. Stanzi could be CORRECT, I imagined she had 46 students while Ms. Lowery had 40 students.


This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog




6.Use a hundred grid (unit square) to illustrate the following questions. Once you have explained and illustrated what the question means solve it.
a) 16 is 40% of what number?

To answer this equation I did a shortcut. I went backwards!



This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog

Here is another way to answer this question. We learned this way yesterday. This way is much easier.




This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog


b) What is 120% of 30?

To answer this question I multiplied the decimal of the number to the percent.





This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog



Question 7

Mark your own growing post and two other people's growing post.

Click 8-41 to see Kim 's Growing Post and click 8-17 to see Shawn's growing post.

Kim and Shawn BOTH did an awesome job on their growing post. You guys should read their growing post

9 comments:

J-man said...

I give Thyrza a 10/10 for her growing post because she showed her work well and used pictures to go along with her answers. I don't think she needs to improve on anything.

UnknowN J. said...

I will give Thyrza a perfect 10/10 for her growingpots. I loved how she used bubbleshard to show all here work for each question. This is a great post. Keep up the good work Thyrza!

Unknown said...

holy moly good job Thyrza you get a 10/10 man you did awesome!! you made it soo easy to understand i loved it!!well you teach the class instead of mr.Harbeck...just Kidding mr. Harbeck...!!

Smiliies said...

Umm Thryza, maybe you should make your bubbleshare pictures a little smaller because you can't see the play and forward button on it. Overall nice post. =)

Anonymous said...

I give thyrza a crazy 10/10 she did so well on her growing post. On her post it had so many detail and pictures and it was also colourful. Thyrza should replace Mr Harbeck as out Math teacher. IM JOKING! Keep it up with the Great work you have put into this Growing Post.

Smiliies said...

Well for me, I cannot see them, but maybe other people can. XP

angelic =) said...

Setup
5/5
Comments: SHe has all the necessary information.h

Question 1
10/10
Comments: Gosh buddy, you work too hard =P

Question 2
10/10
Comments: SHe did the problem step by step so people could understand it well.

Question 3
9.5/10
Comments: She used too many ways, which is a good thing, but she should use pictures (squares) to further explain the problem.

Question 4
4/5
Comments: You should leave a comment on that persons post telling them how to improve. Don't be shy =P

Question 5
9/10
Comments: YOu should also use a diagram of some sort just so people can understand further. Otherwise, it's good.

Question 6
15/15
Comments: like i said before, stop working too hard XP!

Overall Mark
62.5/65
Comment: Like everybody else is saying, awesome post Thyrza =) Just try to use pictures (squares more) so slow people can get what your saying =)

tears_77 said...

Setup
5/5
Comments: I labeled and titled my growing post correctly.

Question 1
10/10
Comments: I included symbol, picture and numerical example and I answered the question correctly. I also used Gliffy from the Studentblogwikitools.

Question 2
10/10
Comments: I showed that the values are equivalent using numbers and images. I showed how to do the question step by step so other people could understand it better. I didn't use 10x 10 grid because it is hard to show it since they have the same percentage.

Question 3
10/10
Comments: I showed many ways to solve this question. I tried to make my explanation more detailed so other people can understand how I got the answer.

Question 4
5/5
Comments: I went to another school's blogsite. I read the post and commented on it and told that person how he could improve it. I made a review of what I noticed about the post.

Question 5
9/10
Comments: I explained why Ms. Stanzi could be correct and I showed how I think she is correct step by step but I should have made a diagram so other people may undestand my reasoning. If I have time I'll edit it!!!

Question 6
15/15
Comments: I did the question properly. I used many images to illustrate how I answered this question using Bubbleshare.

Overall Mark
64/65

Overall Comment for the Growing Post: I tried my VERY best to finish this growing post and I hope other people can understand how I answered the questions.

P.S. I know I could go back and edit this post but I'm kind of too busy this week so I'll edit when I have more time.

Anonymous said...

Setup
5/5
Comments: You have all the necessary information.Good job

Question 1
9/10
Comments: Great explanation. You should have said A percent is an equivelent fraction out of 100.

Question 2
10/10
Comments: You did the in a great wya. (Step by step.) Amazing! (must have taking you a decade to complete lol)

Question 3
9/10
Comments: When you added all of those extra ways it made it comfusing to see what you were talking about. (its good to do a great job, but odn't over do it)

Question 4:
5/5
Comments: The comment you left was very good explaining how he could improve it too.

Question 5
8/10
Comments: You should use a text that is easier to read. You also didn't use many diargrams.

Question 6
15/15
Comments: Very neat and tidy. great job overall!

Overall Mark:
61/65
Additional Comments: I am a very hard marker when it comes to other students becaus eI want them to reach their highest potential. You had a great growing post. DON'T take these comments personally.