Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Kim's Percentage Growing Post

~~Completed and is already marked by 2 people~~

Question 1

What is a good definition of percent? You should use words symbols, pictures and numerical examples in your definition.

Percent is an equivalent that is written as a fraction that is out of a hundred (100). It represents as a part of a number generally out of 100. It has a percent sign (%), a fraction or ratio with a denominator of 100 and the word "cent" means 100 in French. For example:


Question 2

How are three fifths (3/5), 3:2, 60% and 0.6 all the same? Use pictures and words to show your answer.

Three fifths, 3/5, 3:2, 60% and o.6 are all the same because they are all equivalent to each other, they are just written in a different form. Example:


This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog


Question 3
Show 3 different ways to find 35% of 80.


Question 4

Find a link to blogs that deal with percentages. Leave a comment behind and add the link with a review (What the post was talking about....yes you have to read the post and why others should read the post)

This post was EXCELLENT. He gave examples and pictures to help understand the process of getting a percentage. His pictures showed that you can actually have a percentage that is more than 100%. He showed that if you get an A+ and if you give out more of 100% of your best, those were examples of the possibilities of getting more than 100%. I also learned something from his post. Did you know that the word "of" actually means multiply in the "math language"? Well I didn't, so that was a little something I learned. His post was really understandable and if someone had trouble with percentage, you should check out his post... click here please to see it !

Question 5
The principal announced that 50% of the children in Ms. Stanzi's class met their reading goal for the month and that 55% of the children in Ms Lowrey's class met their reading goal for the month. Ms Stanzi said that a greater number of her students met their reading goal. Could Ms Stanzi be correct? Why or Why not.

I think that Ms Stanzi can be correct because the question did not mention how many students Ms Stanzi and Ms Lowrey has. So it is important to know the amount of students that are in their class. If the amount of students are not included, (like this question) then the answer depends on your explanation. For example, if Ms Stanzi has about 40 students, 50% of it would be 20 students passing their reading goal. If Ms Lowrey has 20 students, 55% of it would be 11 students passing their reading goal. BUT! If Ms Stanzi and Ms Lowrey has the same amount of students in their class, then Ms Stanzi will be wrong. For example, if they both have 20 students in their class, 50% of it would be 10, and 55% of it would be 11, so Ms Lowrey would have the most students that passed their reading goal.





Question 6
Use a hundred grid (unit square) to illustrate the following questions. Once you have explained and illustrated what the question means solve it.

a) 16 is 40% of what number?
b) What is 120% of 30?






Question 7: I have already marked Angelic's Growing Post and Sarika's Growing Post. I also already have two people who have marked my own Growing Post.

K.V. 8-41

Edits and extras that I have made to my growing post:
1. I marked
Lisa's growing post (because Mr.H said that we should mark the ones that have not been marked yet).
2. I added a little more details on the pictures in the post that I have commented.

4 comments:

Smiliies said...

Setup
5/5
Comments: I have all the right necessary things done for the setup.

Question 1
10/10
Comments: I think I have a good definition and I used gliffy to help me answer this question.

Question 2
10/10
Comments: I put effort in making the bubbleshare presentation, and I put pictures and explained how the values are equivalent in images and numbers.

Question 3
10/10
Comments: I showed how to find three ways with illustrations and I put effort in making the bubbleshare presentation.

Question 4
4/5
Comments: I don't think I showed beyond normal effort in answering this question.

Question 5
9/10
Comments: I think included all the necessary things that are needed, but I don't think my answer is right.

Question 6
14/15
Comments: I used bubbleshare, included pictures and I put effort in answering this question.

Overall Mark
62/65

Overall Comment for the Growing Post: I think I did a good job, but I know that I could have done better, and I did my best and put a lot of effort in making this growing post.

Levi said...

Setup
5/5
Comments: - Your growing post is labeled and titled.

Question 1
9/10
Comments: - GOOD JOB KIM! =)

Question 2
9/10
Comments: - I think you have to change the size of your bubbleshare because it's a little hard to read. Thank you!=D

Question 3
10/10
Comments: - Nice job again! Keep it up.

Question 4
5/5
Comments: - Well done! Good job on reviewing the post!

Question 5
9/10
Comments: Your pictures in bubbleshare are great but one thing though. the letters are pretty small to read. Nicely done anyways.

Question 6
13/15
Comments: KIM! you made it so easy for us to understand the work! Good job.

Overall Mark
60/65

Overall Comment for the Growing Post: WELL DONE KIM! KEEP IT UP! GOODLUCK ON YOUR NEXT GROWING POST!

tears_77 said...

Setup
5/5
Comments: I gave you this mark because your growing post is labeled and titled correctly.

Question 1
9/10
Comments: I gave you this mark because you included symbol, picture and numerical example. Maybe you could use different colors on the words on your gliffy image. It will make it more attractive.

Question 2
9/10
Comments: I gave you this mark because you showed that the values are equivalent using numbers,images and pictures. Maybe you could make the words in your bubble share a bit more larger.

Question 3
10/10
Comments: I give you this mark because you showed three different ways to solve this question. Good Job!

Question 4
4/5
Comments: I give you this mark because your review showed that you went to another's school' s blogsite and actually read the post. Good Job! Maybe you could add more details about the post such as did they include pictures, percentage questions and more.

Question 5
10/10
Comments: I give you this mark because I thought you did a good job because you showed why Ms. Stanzi could be right AND wrong.

Question 6
13/15
Comments: I give you this mark because you used images to illustrate how to solve this question. By the way you got the letter B wrong. The number can't be 640 because 40% of 640 is 256. Maybe you could edit it !
Overall Mark
60/65

Overall Comment for the Growing Post: You did an AWESOME job on your growing post. Your answers showed that you really put many efforts into it.

P.S. You could go back and edit your growing post anytime to improve it.

Smiliies said...

Thanks for the marks. By the way Thyrza, you said that for question 6 I made a mistake for question "B" but then you talked about the question "A" so which one do I have to fix?